Argentine President Alberto Fernandez on Wednesday announced a three-week night ban after a second day in a row of record coronavirus virus infections.
The curfew takes effect on Friday and is valid from midnight to 6am every day until April 30, he said in a statement recorded at his official residence, where he is self-isolating after being infected with the virus himself.
It will be in effect in the country’s highest risk areas, mainly urban centers, the president said.
Bars and restaurants close at 23.00.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Argentine Ministry of Health said that a record 22,039 new infections were reported in the previous 24 hours, which was a comparison with the previous record of 20,870 the day before.
More than 13,500 of the latest cases were reported in the capital region of Buenos Aires – home to a third of Argentina’s population of 45 million.
To date, about 4.5 million Argentines have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine and just over 700,000 both doses.
The Pan American Health Organization said last week that Argentina is one of the ten countries with the most new infections worldwide.
The country’s borders have been closed since December and group meetings in private homes are banned in the big cities.
Dance halls and gyms are also closed.